On the 6th of May 2020, the CBSS Children at Risk Expert Group held their third and last meeting under the Danish Presidency of the CBSS.
At this occasion, the Expert adopted the Children at Risk Mandate and Strategy for 2020-2025. In adopting these documents, the Expert Group agreed that it will continue to stimulate dialogue and exchange on cross-border concerns, to develop and nurture strategic partnership and to contribute to the development and implementations of tangible projects to promote children’s rights and bolster national child protection systems. The Expert Group thanked Denmark for facilitating the development and adoption of the Mandate and Strategy, and welcomed the Lithuanian presidency starting 1 July 2020.
Our vision and strategic objectives
The vision of the Children at Risk Expert Group is a Baltic Sea region where children fully enjoy their rights as recognised in the UN Convention on the Rights of the Child. Effective national child protection systems offer comprehensive prevention, protection and support. Each child has equal opportunities for participation and active involvement in building a prosperous, safe and secure region for all. To this end, the Expert Group focus on the following strategic areas:
- Prevention and Early Intervention: Strengthening National Child Protection Systems
- Protection, Support and Justice: Promoting multidisciplinary and interagency services for child victims and witnesses of violence (Barnahus)
- Partnerships for children’s rights and child protection: Promoting law, policy and joint strategies
Working together, the expert group will support Member States in raising awareness to promote positive attitudes, norms and values to safeguard the rights of children. The expert group will promote integrated strategies, including sustainable measures that have been demonstrated to contribute to real positive change in the lives of children at risk, including:
- Prevention, Early Intervention and rapid response at first signs of harm
- Tailormade Multidisciplinary Response and Support Services
- Encouraging a positive justice, law and policy setting
- Safe environments
- Parent and caregiver support
- Education and life skills, including investment in early childhood education.
You can find the entire Children at Risk Mandate & Strategy 2020-2025 here: